Personal VPN for your android
If you like to use your Android Phone for Internet browsing through public Wi-Fi spots or hotspots, if you are worried about your privacy, if you are going abroad where internet censorship stops you from browsing your favorite website? Or you are among the few who know that the traffic they send over internet using emails, Instant messages or just any other data that is sent in plain text can be sniffed by anyone, even using only free tools! Then you should get a VPN Connection!
But what is a VPN?
A VPN (Virtual Private Network) can be used for many different purposes. Originally they were used to allow secure connection of a road-warrior users into the company network with access to files and email which os normally only acccessible internally. This is still the preferred method of connectivity for hundreds of thousands of remote workers around the world. This means that VPN connections are quite common and you won't usually be questioned for using one.
VPNs can also be used to bypass all forms of internet censorship, some countries block access to freedom of speech sites whilst others block popular social networking sites like Facebook and the most popular video website YouTube! Some countries even block popular VOIP (Voice Over Internet Protocol) program Skype from functioning so that you have to use their overpriced government run Telco. A lot of countries have put filters in place to protect users from certain types of pornography, but without transparency they could be blocking anything.
Anonymity can be provided by using a vpn due to the fact that your IP address is concealed. With multiple users on one vpn no-one can tell who is accessing what information. Many countries are starting to implement biased laws allowing copyright infringement notices to be served on unsuspecting individuals, because their IP address has shown up on file sharing trackers. This could occur due to legitimate use of file sharing applications to download legitimate free software or media or due to someone unbeknownst to them using their Internet connection for illegal purposes with the burden of proof on the individual (guilty until proven innocent) these notices are an infringement on civil rights and liberties. The latest reason for using a VPN is safety the connection between you and the vpn server is encrypted (usually) saving you from exposing vital passwords and information in public wireless hotspots. Also third parties, ISP or Government, cannot sniff your data on the way past.
- Android version below 4.0 requires root.
- On android phones below 4.0 you need a working tun.ko for your phone. (Look for our "TUN.ko installer")
- DroidVPN account. Signup for free here: http://droidvpn.com/signup.php
- Working internet connection(WiFi, Edge, or 3G Network required). DroidVPN is not a replacement for your ISP.
- What is the use of tun.ko?
- What is rooting?
- How to use DroidVPN?
- Where can I get the configuration file, certificate and key of DroidVPN?
- Proxy and HTTP Header is now available!
- Can I use DroidVPN on my PC?
- New version of DroidVPN 1.8.5b
- Phone reboots when connecting DroidVPN
- Stopping Leaks with DroidWall when using DroidVPN
- How can I update the list of servers in DroidVPN?